Dietary supplements omnipresent in our society: not only in pharmacies but also in drugstores – and even at discount stores – there a wide range of pills and Pulverchen. The print ads in Fitness magazines makes big promises and would almost convince a reader that with the right product everything works as mind of its own: Lose weight? Bring on the “fat burners”! More muscles? In this review article you learn the most important thing about food supplements: what is worth and what you can do better? In the first half about some essential nutrients such as vitamins, which today are no longer optimal care for us. In the second part of the article deals with the question of whether supplements can help you faster achieve your personal fitness goals.
Recent studies and cases of consumption of Vitamin Supplements.
From multivitamin gummy bears for kids, to the calcium tablets for Grandma Bone: Vitamins and minerals have arrived as a dietary supplement in society. But beware: the tiny pills can sometimes do harm! In January 2012, occurs the article “The False Vitamin – The billion dollar business with useless pills”. It was showing how often the disease risk of study participants was increased by supplementation of a vitamin, although they wanted to have as their object something else. What can we learn from? More is not always better! Dietary supplements, such as vitamins and minerals, should be taken only upon detection of a nutrient deficiency and after consultation of a doctor. In that case, the pills can not only prevent disease, but also affect positively on the IQ and the social behavior of children. And even in the case of a lack of some nutrients first thought should be to optimize the diet with real food.
Below are listed four situations in which supplementation with micronutrients may be useful:
- Winter: almost all Americans regularly suffer from a shortage of the “sunshine vitamin” vitamin D. Probably it’s the most useful dietary supplement ever!
- Pregnancy: Pregnant have a special needs in vitamin B9 (folic acid), DHA-omega-3 fat and Iron. But be careful: synthetic folic acid as a dietary supplement can increase the general risk of illness of the mother as well as the child! Better way: Increase the consumption of vegetables rich in fat (such as asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower and spinach).
- Vegans and Vegetarians: Vitamin B12 is contained exclusively in animal products as well as the micro-organisms in soil. Who doesn’t consumes meat, eggs and Co. and washed its vegetables, should pay attention to a supplement with Vitamin B12.
- Therapy and prevention of diseases: thousands of studies with potent phytochemicals, like curcumin (made from turmeric) or Sulforaphane (made from broccoli) supposedly can give you positive impact in case of inflammation diseases and even cancer. For those who wants to take preventive measures without pills recommended turmeric powder (and black pepper, which reinforces the positive effect) or even bring the turmeric from the Asia , and diligent munching cabbage or broccoli.
Probably everyone knows Fish oil capsules. The dietary supplements advertise with there possibility to improve heart health and even stand in the discount shelf.
Fish oil is rich on indispensable omega-3 fatty acid, in particular the animal form: DHA and EPA. In fact, most of us eat today to little of this vital nutrient. Only vegetable omega-3 sources (such as walnuts, or canola and linseed oil) resource may be problematic.
Fish instead of fish oil: Why a dietary supplement when it comes naturally? Who eats week fish such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, herring vs tuna several times on his plate, is adequately supplied!
Protein powder and natural protein.
It should be said right away: ordinary exercises no need powder to cover its protein requirements. As always, the real food should be in our focus. Protein shakes as a dietary supplement can be useful if after your workout no time or late in the evening no appetite exists to assume a normal, solid meal. What it is important to note when it comes to protein shakes?
- As natural as possible: most of the products are unnecessary, and possibly even dangerous additives and sweeteners. Some providers offer pure protein powder without sweeteners and flavorings to purchase.
- Whey protein is generally regarded as the highest quality protein powder. Whey Protein Isolate can be consumed by people who do not tolerate lactose.
- Pure vegetable It’s also: Who wants to give up dairy products, can mix his own protein powder from plant sources. A combination of 50% pea protein and 50% rice protein gives a very good balance of essential amino acids.
- BCAAs (branched chain amino acids) on an empty stomach: A shelter for an empty stomach before exercises could be a few grams of BCAAs take to “burn” no muscle mass.
- The ratio makes it! Just as important as a sufficient amount of omega-3 fats is a principle of healthy ratio rather anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acid to the principle pro-inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids (omega-3: 6 ratio). For our ancestors, the ratio was quite balanced: 1: 1 to 1: 2. Today, many of them values of 1:15 or even higher. Because many from “modern” foods rich for omega-6 fats, which did not exist previously.The solution: sunflower oil and safflower oil ban, minimize finished products or industrial vegetable fat, cereal products in moderation – not en masse.
- Krill Oil as the best dietary supplements: who doesn’t like fish and want supplementation, for those the krill oil offers many advantages over fish oil. The omega-3 fats are better absorbed and utilized by the body. It contains astaxanthin (a potent antioxidant gent) and the consumption of krill preserves the fish resources.
- Vegans and vegetarians: the omega-3 fatty acid DHA does not exist in plant , the only exception being derived from seaweed DHA oils or pills.